Welcome to the Infant/Nido Indigo Room
Thank you for choosing Northstar Montessori! Our hope is that your child’s time at Northstar will be some of the best memories of their lifetime!
Indigo Room Teachers
Ms. Cassie Lead TeacherRead More
Hi! My name is Cassie and I’ve been working at Northstar Montessori for a little over 3 years.
Ms. Amy Teacher
What to expect when you enroll in the Infant Indigo Room
Drop Off/Pick Up Information
All parents are asked to sign their child in and out using the computers in the vestibule or the QR code at drop off/pick up point and a personal cell phone.
- Drop off and pick up will be at the first door to the left of the main entrance.
- Parents will sign children in on computers in the vestibule.or with the QR code
- Pick up will be at the first door to the left of the main entrance or occasionally on the playground to the left side back yard.
- Teachers will bring your child to the door with their belongings
- Please remember to sign your child out on the computer or with the QR code.
Each student has their own locker with a label and basket, if needed, for personal items.
We ask that parents provide:
- Bottles and or food daily
- Diapers: daily or large quantity. Parents will be informed when supply is low.
- Wet wipes these are used communally (please bring in a pack a month)
- extra clothes
- 2 crib sheets (one for regular use and one for accidents)
- any other personal items the child might need.
- Pacifiers (if the child uses one)
**Please make sure that everything is labeled well.
Food Storage and Eating Area
Each student will get their own area in the refrigerator labeled with their name.
- Bottles and other food containers must be labeled with the child’s: Name, the date, and the contents of the bottle/container. (Per Michigan Licensing rules)
- Bottles must be premade with the proper estimated amount per feeding.(Per Michigan Licensing rules)
- It is also encouraged to bring dry snacks/extra food in case children are still hungry or refuse other foods. These are stored in the cabinet next to the refrigerator and also need to be labeled.
Lunch boxes can be stored in the cabinet next to the refrigerator as well.
When children start eating solid food/purees, we encourage them to sit at the table in the eating area. If they are prone to wiggling, we will use a single lap strap to secure them in, but it is NOT restraining. It only ensures their safety.
All students sleep in their own cribs provided by Northstar. According to licensing, children under the age of 1 year cannot have anything in the crib but a sleep sack can be worn.
- Crib sheets are sent home weekly on the child’s last day of the week and all cribs are bleached on Friday nights.
- We encourage sleep training and self soothing as we are a Montessori Classroom and it truly benefits the child’s independence.
Diapers & Wipes
Parents are asked to supply their own diapers and also provide wipes. Diapers are to each child, but wipes are communal.
- If a child uses certain wipes, they only need to bring wipes for themselves and have the child’s name on them.
- Each child has a slot under the diaper changing table and there is extra storage for diapers in the classroom.
Lesson plans are posted near the door and changes monthly. Again we are a Montessori room, so instead of having a set curriculum, we pay attention to and follow the developmental needs of the children each month. We make sure they are meeting milestones while being exposed to practical and everyday life skills.
Transitioning from Infant to Toddler Room
Between the ages of 15 months and 18 months, children transition from the Nido/Infant Classroom to the Pre-primary/Toddler Classroom. In order to facilitate this, at around 1 year of age, we will:
- Start the transition to one nap in the afternoon instead of multiple naps a day, as possible.
- Encourage your child to feed themselves according to the following schedule:
- Morning snack around 9am
- Lunch around 12 pm
- Afternoon snack around 3pm
- Transition from bottles to a cup of milk a day and a water cup for all day use.
- Have your child visit the toddler rooms and determine the room that best suits your child and their development.
- Parents will be notified of the child’s move up date as soon as the teachers are notified. This gives parents time to ask questions, meet the new teachers, and prepare themselves and their child for the transition.
The program in both the Infant Room and the Toddler room is based on each child’s needs and is on demand. Once your child is 12 months old, they will begin to transition to the toddler room schedule if it is developmentally appropriate for your child. We recognize that all children develop at their own pace and all times and ages are approximate